The weather service will announce a tornado warning, along with approximate time of detection and direction of movement. Public warnings will come over the radio, TV or sirens by the local defense warning system.
Should a severe storm or tornado occur, the following safety guidelines are recommended:
- Move away from the exterior of the building to a corridor or elevator lobby.
- As you move, try to close the doors of rooms that have windows. Also, be sure the door to your suite is closed tightly, but not locked.
- Go to the center corridor and protect yourself by either putting your head close to your lap or by kneeling to protect your head.
- Stairwell are safe. If crowded. move down to a Lower Level for shelter. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
- DO NOT go to the first-floor lobby or outside building.
- Keep your radio or television set tuned to a local station for information.
- Do not use the telephone to get information or advise (if there is lightening, risk of injury, etc.).
- KEEP CALM. If you are trapped in an outside office, seek protection under a desk.
Once the weather has subsided, report any damage or storm-related leaks to the Property Management Office.
NOTE: Even in the event of extremely high winds, employees and visitors should move to areas of the building offering the greatest protection such as an inner hallway or stairwell. Under no circumstances should anyone be allowed to remain near outer walls containing windows.